Wednesday, December 30, 2009

English Store, Driving, LASAGNA and First Kindle Book

A day or so ago Patty took me and Oli to Waterloo to the english store there so I could see if they had anything I needed or missed from home. One of the most important things I found were BAGELS!! They had frozen bagels and you could pick the types you wanted and they were only .55/ piece. I bought honey wheat, poppy seed and a sesame one. I really missed having american breakfasts and this was the topping on my cake. Speaking of cake, I found small containers of baking powder, baking soda and cream of tartar. I picked up those too. As I made my way through the candy section, to my surprise, I found receses pieces. Yay!!! I haven't seen them yet in France because people don't eat much peanut butter but Patty tried them and she liked them so maybe if hershey's expands their market I'll be in luck. :)

After the Yummy fest in the English Store, We went to Claude's house to chat and catch up (thats my future father in law/beau-père). He lives with Béa in Nivelles which is like 10 minutes from Waterloo. Béa just bought a cute house on the other side of Nivelles so they'll be moving sometime early next year. We had some coffee and sausages, chips and talked a lot about random things which is always nice.

After we left, Patty took us to a random strip of offices with two round abouts at the ends so I could practice driving. I'm getting pretty good at the shifting and shifting down is getting better too. Next time, patty says we're going to tackle hills. :)

On our way home we stopped by carrefour to pick up the key ingredient to Lasagna here- Béchamel sauce. I'd only ever made lasagne with a mixture of ricotta, eggs and other cheesy italian stuff but according to french/italian recipes here I needed béchamel sauce. Instead of making it, I just bought it premade because it was already 7 and I wanted to eat before 10. We had bought early sauce in which I added in french cooked veal, burger meat, and mushrooms. I put everything all together with the sauce, béchamel, mozzarella, noodles and some spinach in two layers. I baked it all for about 30 minutes and we ate it. I know this was my best lasagna yet because Oli licked the plate and he told me about a million times he loved it. He thought it was less heavy than the one I made before we left Toronto. :)

Yesterday, I also finished my first book on the Kindle. I really like this cool gadget because it fits in my purse and I don't have to worry about changing books or anything. Its amazing so I bought another book last night and I'm already 20 % through the next. This is quickly turning into a $$ habit. I think my gift requests from now on are going to be amazon gift cards so I can buy books for my kindle-lol.

I also finished my first french book on christmas eve. La rentrée de Petit Nicolas. Cute book, and totally easy vocab to read. One down, 4 more to go! :)

All in all, english store = success. driving= success. Lasagna= success. Kindle= Success. French reading =success.

Bisous

No comments:

Post a Comment