Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Sucess, small talk and projects

October 6, 2009

I wrote my first french check today! It was so cool because it’s literally backwards from the American way. I even get to practice spelling the numbers haha. The lady at the bank had to show me how to write them because I didn’t know. I felt like she was talking to a mentally handicapped person. I’m American, not slow! I don’t get why people talk slow and enunciate everything as if I’m deaf sometimes. Now because of the checks I can officially eat in the SELF without feeling like a thief.

I spent most of my day at the middle school today. After that I realized why I prefer high school. Middle schoolers drive me crazy!!! As it turns out, I’ll be teaching my own class (*yay*) for two hours on Tuesday and Thursday and then after lunch I’ll be heading the English club for 5e and 6e students. At least it’s a free hour a week where I can really have fun with the students! I think. M. C is kind of different. I’m not sure if I like him or not. He teaches the younger students so it’s a totally different world than the 4e and the 3e students. His rigidness with the students makes me a little uncomfortable. I personally just want them to try and speak in English no matter what comes out. I can work around what they are saying. I don’t need them to ask me questions in any “order”. Blah.

The penpals project is turning out to be sort of a big deal for Mme H. I thought it would be something relaxed and fun but she keeps wanting to do this video conferencing thing and I honestly don’t think that it’s going to work with the time change. Is she nuts? Not only does barb have to have the students at 9 or 10 in the morning (unlikely) but we’d have to do it only on Mondays or Tuesdays because it’s the only time open for the premier stg class. (Don’t ask me what that means cause I still don’t). I also feel bad because I know Barb’s schedule is loaded and she totally doesn’t need this work. I’m just feeling guilty because I want to do something fun the students.

I finally went to ED today. I forgot how much cheaper it is to go there. I also realized that it’s closer than Carrefour and on my home from the middle school. I also realized why I hated carrying groceries back in Aix because today I finally had to buy toilet paper, trashbags, water and pop. That’s heavy to carry even 1/8 mile let alone ½ mile.

Tomorrow I have one ½ hour class. That’s all! I’ll finally be able to go and do my laundry I think. My running clothes smell and I’m out of socks already. I should have brought more of both of those things. I didn’t think I’d be able to run here firstly and I don’t own many socks anyways. Since it snows here lots I‘ll have to buy more anyways.

I’m going to Montpellier in two days so I’m super excited to get out of this city. What- real stores? Real clubs and bars? YOUNG PEOPLE? God help me but I think I’ll be in heaven.


A la prochaine….

1 comment:

  1. If the students in your STG class are a bit older aka are BTS students, than STG is "science et technique de la gestion". It's one of a few "series technologiques" that students follow. I only learned this at orientation yesterday. I still don't quite understand what BTS students are. I also thought I understood the french edu system until this year when I have to be an actual part of it. lol.

    ReplyDelete