Thursday, October 8, 2009

Thunderstorms and Electricity

October 8, 2009

Yesterday was kind of weird. I only had 30 minutes of class a day but Mme H expected since I didn’t have anything to do I could do some proofreading. All I really wanted to do was send some emails, prepare for my trip today and do my laundry. Like I had a chance of getting all that done! The internet went down in the whole school so that screwed up all my plans. I did get to do my laundry but then I missed lunch with the teachers. Since it was Wednesday, the students have the afternoon off and the streets and park were flooded with young people up to no good. I met up with Mme S around 5 so she could bring me the oven and some other furniture. She’s kind of like one of my adoptive moms here taking care of me and making sure I have everything I need. Plus I love her daughter-we’re very similar and she’s super nice even though she is a bit younger than me. She doesn’t act embarrassed when she sees me at school which makes me feel great unlike some of the other teacher’s kids. I offered them some pop to drink after hauling all that stuff up 4 flights of stairs. Then I realized that I had a meeting with Mme H at 5:30 so I had to run quickly back to the teacher’s room. I felt so bad after Mme S gave me all that stuff I had to rush out so quickly. We made plans to see each other on Saturday so I’ll apologize again.

After the meeting with Mme H about the penpals thing AGAIN. (She’s really driving me nuts with sending them) She gave me a lift to the workout room because she had to pick her son up at Judo which is across the street. I really like the workout room because I get to observe French people working out (amusing) and how they interact. Plus there are a lot of my students there that see that I am not a recluse living up blow the roof au lycée.

I finally came home exhausted and happy about my new digs. I have a shelving unit, a side table for my bed, an oven and a lamp cover. Woot.

Today I woke up early to finish the dishes and finish packing for my meeting in Montpellier tomorrow. I knew it was going to rain here so I brought my umbrulla. Boy am I glad I did!!!! It’s raining cats and dogs right now. We wanted to go to the bar and meet up with some other assistants but with this rain and thunder its not really possible. (ie why I am writing in my blog and not out having fun!)

I met up with A in her town on the way down to Montpellier and we spent the entire trip talking. It was soooo nice to finally speak my own language!!! We had so much to compare and talk about it was nice. We met up with J in the hotel room we’re staying at. We tried to go back together but it’s not working out so I’m going back by myself tomorrow night. Speaking of the trip down here….ugh. I thought I was going to vomit about 20 times. The road is literally up and down all these mountains and then there was this terrible fog where we couldn’t even see 10 feet in front of us. (I took pictures). As I sit here now the entire hotel has lost electricity. I think this is amusing but frustrating because I finally figured out the internet issue and now its gone. Boo on the pluie! I met some assistants that came here to see A but it was a bit overwhelming for me. I’m not sure how I feel about all this American in one hour. Its kinda like I’m sitting in a room of people I don’t know and I want to drink a whole bottle of vodka to sit through it. I hope the orientation/mtg tomorrow goes well and I make it back to St. Chely (prounouced Saint- shelee) in one piece.

Love you all!!!

A la prochaine….

No comments:

Post a Comment